Friday 7 March 2008

Evaluation

We were set a project called Identity, we had to explore the meaning of our Identity and how we see our self then form this we had to create an avatar that would be placed in a space. We had to consider our Identity the design of the avatar and the space.

The project meant we had to research what an avatar was to gain an understanding of what we had to do and how we would design the avatar. I thought the best way to gain a understanding of “who I am” so I started by do a mind map this help me to get all the different traits of my personality down I help then to gain a direction of where I wanted to take the project. So to help I did a mood board so I could visualise my mind map giving me a good direction on what to do. For the avatar design I started to draw myself and then develop those drawing an illustrated avatar. I came up with the design of a monkey wearing a green T-shirt listening to music. This is to represent that my nickname to my friends is monkey, green is one of y favourite colours and I really like listening to music. I feel a monkey is the best way to describe my identity.

The area, I decided to have it a city with a huge tree over looking and have my Avatar sitting on a branch looking down at the city. The idea developed because as a person I like to be surrounded by people and be busy in a busy environment. So the city represents this need to be around people and the need in a busy place, but then there is a contradiction with me, because I am constantly looking for a place to be alone. I wanted to show this with the huge tree which is the main theme representing the constant need to be alone. My avatar is sat down looking over at the city this is to show what the city represents to me as the busy place. To design the area and Avatar I had to use 3D Studio Max this is a 3D modelling software, I found it really hard to make any progress at the start of the project I found it to be a big learning curve, but after I learnt the basic I felt comfortable to produce my Avatar. I think if I had more experience with the software I could of done more to the area and made it look a lot more professional.

The movie is going to have a sound track of a busy city and birds singing. I thinks this puts across the idea of the busy to city to the viewer even though I have not modelled cars or people the audio will allow the viewer to know they seeing a busy city.

I started my research in an online 3D community to gain an insight what it is like to have an avatar I maybe change your Identity and in a way become some else. I kept a diary that followed my Avatar progress with the virtual world. I food the experience to be both interesting and little boring because of he fact that there was not much to do on the online community that I was on, I don’t think I would go back on this particular one again. As another form of research, I looked in to the work of Russ Mills an Illustrator. I especially like his work form 2006-2007 because he did portraits of people and edited them on the computer to get his finished result his work at this period consisted of just people’s faces.

I feel this was a successful project and that if was to do it again I would like to charge a few features and maybe do some more tutorials and some animation in the video. But due to the time constraints of the project I was limited to what I could do but I am happy with the final movie, I feel I am ready for the next project and feel my ideas reflect the ideas from this project.

No comments: